Rubies gemstone are always fashionable and complement virtually everyone who wears them. In addition to being the official birthstone for July and the traditional gift for 40th wedding anniversaries, the ruby frequently is given in celebration of the birth of a daughter.
Regarded by ancient Hindus as the “King of Gems”, the ruby was believed to protect wearers from evils in the world. A stone of nobility, the ruby meaning signifies passion, protection and prosperity.
The word “ruby” is derived from the Latin word “ruber” which means “red”. The finest rubies are often described as ‘pigeon’s blood’ – a spectacular shade of red with a hint of blue, superb transparency and exceptional fire and brilliance.
Since the ruby is such a magnificent gem, it is no wonder that ancients believed it to be the most precious of stones. According to legend, the Emperor of China Kublai Khan once offered an entire city in exchange for a single ruby.
July babies are known to be devoted, courageous, confident and full of vitality.
Rubies gemstones also have many healing benefits:
• Stimulating good blood circulation
• Alleviating pain associated with menstruation
• Beneficial for reproductive organs
• Helpful throughout pregnancy
• Detoxifying the body, blood and lymph nodes
• Weight regulation
The Ruby consists of crystallized corundum with a small percentage of chromium oxide, which creates varying shades ranging from pinkish red to purple-red.
• Burmese Rubies – One of the most sought-after rubies. They have a deep red colour and may have hints of blue or pink.
• Thai Rubies – Second to the Burmese rubies, Thai rubies have darker undertones and can have a slight tint of burgundy.
• Tanzania Rubies – The colour of Tanzania rubies is exquisitely garnet. Smaller Tanzanian rubies are much more valuable.
There are different varieties of ruby making it a wonderfully versatile gift option. Contact us at Polished Diamonds and we can help with further information about Rubies and give you price points and design ideas. I personally like the deep red colour of rubies – they just look magnificent.
Here at Polished Diamonds, we have a vast experience using CAD to draw Ruby jewellery. Come on in and start the process today.